Copenhagen: A Transition

Well, goodbye America — I'm in Denmark for the next six months!

I left Kansas City a few days ago and after four airports, I have finally arrived in Copenhagen. I will leave tomorrow for Aarhus to study at the Danish School of Media and Journalism until June. I'm going to miss the States a lot, but I brought a jar of peanut butter with me, so I hope to use that as my comfort food.

My father and I have been exploring Copenhagen for the last two days, albeit slowly due to some serious jet lag. I thought I would be OK — I spent two weeks in Paris and London after graduating high school and didn't have any problems. I couldn't function until I took a serious nap, though. And that nap sure helped with my outlook — I was so cranky before!

Our night on the town tonight was great, though. We took a taxi to the canal and tried to go to the Royal Naval Museum, but it was closed — January is totally not a tourist-y month. So, we just walked around and looked at the boats in the water and some of the architecture. The buildings and furniture and decor in Copenhagen are outstanding — it's all very post-modern and very, very sleek. I'm a big fan.

Earlier in the day we took the train to Malmo, Sweden. Although we enjoyed the train ride — and figuring out the metro system — it was not the best trip. It must've dropped 10 degrees when we crossed the border and it was windy and we couldn't really find anything to do. It didn't help that I was cranky either, though. So no offense, Malmo.

One of my favorite things today was shopping in some of the boutiques — I always try to find authentic, fun souvenirs instead of just stuff you can find at the airport. I decided to buy my sisters some popular Danish toys called Hoptimists — I got my sister Mollie a Rooligan and Annie a spring birdie. I think they're adorable!

I asked the woman at the boutique I bought them at, Inblik, where to find great chocolate since that's what my mother requested. She said Summerbird was the best, so we trekked to a department store. The department store was very interesting, though. It was huge, like a mall, and the upper floors were clothing. Downstairs, though, there was practically a grocery store, with a big coffee shop, a bakery, many chocolatiers and then shelves of produce and packaged goods. I thought that was pretty cool.

The weather here is very foggy and a bit chilly, but it doesn't stop anyone from riding their bikes. The bike system here is awesome and there are huge bike lanes for everyone, so pedestrians don't get run over on the sidewalk and cyclists don't have to worry so much about getting hit by cars. The Danes have also been incredibly accommodating, especially since my father and I don't speak a lick of Danish. I'm going to try my best to start speaking a bit of Danish once I get to Aarhus, but it's just too overwhelming now.

Anyway, I could write forever about the goings-on of the last two days, but I'll stop there. I'll be in Aarhus tomorrow and can't wait!